[xmonad] Stash and replace for workspace?

Norbert Zeh nzeh at cs.dal.ca
Thu Jun 25 13:18:30 EDT 2009

Hi folks,

I just realized that for some of my workflows, the following type of
behaviour would be useful.  I have two xinerama screens, one I consider
the "primary screen" on which I do most of the work, while the other is
"secondary" and is used for stuff I like to have handy to look at.  Now
assume that I am currently looking at workspace A on the primary screen,
while the secondary screen shows workspace B.  Next I need to do some
work on workspace C, but I would like to keep what I did on WS A
visible.  So I'd like to create a keybinding that shunts A off to my
secondary screen (replacing B) and brings up C on my primary screen
(replacing A).

Now here's the question:  Is there a simple and elegant way to do this
with the functions available in XMonadContrib?  If not, am I right in
assuming that I have to do some stackset surgery to achieve this?  Any
pointers are appreciated.

"And it happened all the time that the compromise between two perfectly
rational alternatives was something that made no sense at all."
  -- Neal Stephenson, Anathem