[xmonad] Stash and replace for workspace?

Norbert Zeh nzeh at cs.dal.ca
Thu Jun 25 13:18:30 EDT 2009

Hi folks,

I just realized that for some of my workflows, the following type of
behaviour would be useful.  I have two xinerama screens, one I consider
the "primary screen" on which I do most of the work, while the other is
"secondary" and is used for stuff I like to have handy to look at.  Now
assume that I am currently looking at workspace A on the primary screen,
while the secondary screen shows workspace B.  Next I need to do some
work on workspace C, but I would like to keep what I did on WS A
visible.  So I'd like to create a keybinding that shunts A off to my
secondary screen (replacing B) and brings up C on my primary screen
(replacing A).

Now here's the question:  Is there a simple and elegant way to do this
with the functions available in XMonadContrib?  If not, am I right in
assuming that I have to do some stackset surgery to achieve this?  Any
pointers are appreciated.

Thanks,
Norbert

--
"And it happened all the time that the compromise between two perfectly
rational alternatives was something that made no sense at all."