[xmonad] announcing bacteria: for composing Xinerama backgrounds

wagnerdm at seas.upenn.edu wagnerdm at seas.upenn.edu
Thu Jun 18 17:01:57 EDT 2009

Hello all,

My most recent itch has been the ability to set backgrounds in a
Xinerama-aware way.  I've built bacteria as a tiny utility to help me
out with that:

http://www.dmwit.com/bacteria

It doesn't do much: it just creates an image with the right dimensions
to be a background for all the Xinerama screens you happen to be
running at the moment.  It takes a list of input images and centers
them sequentially on each screen.  It's designed with scripting in
mind; for example, the following line in my .xinitrc:

display -backdrop -window root `bacteria .cthulhu.gif .background`

suffices to center the silly .cthulhu.gif picture on each screen, and
works correctly on a variety of machines with different screen counts
and sizes.  I hope somebody else finds this useful!  (And, if you
don't find it useful because it doesn't do X, please send me a note
saying what X is.  Maybe it turns out I wanted X, too, and didn't even
realize it. =)

Cheers!
~d