[xmonad] Problems getting decoration to work with default tiled layout

Toby Cubitt tsc25 at cantab.net
Tue Jun 16 09:02:52 EDT 2009

I've only just started using xmonad, and am hardly a haskell guru, so I'm
probably making a stupid mistake here. But no amount of googling or
searching this list's archives has thrown up anything useful (maybe
because I don't know the right terms to search for).

I'm trying to get window decoration to work, with the following minimal
xmonad.hs (taken more or less verbatim from the SimpleDecoration docs):

*****
import XMonad
import XMonad.Layout.SimpleDecoration

myLayoutHook = simpleDeco shrinkText defaultTheme
                 (layoutHook defaultConfig)

main = xmonad $ defaultConfig {
         layoutHook = myLayoutHook
       }
*****

The problem is, with this config all my windows are full-screen, even when
there are multiple windows open on the same workspace, i.e. no tiling at
all. And there's no window decoration visible (other than the window border).

Clearly there's something basic that I'm missing here, but what?

I'm using a darcs checkout of xmonad (via the Gentoo xmonad-darcs
ebuilds), compiled this morning.

Thanks for helping out an xmonad beginner. Even at this stage, I'm finding
xmonad a delight to use, and incredibly fast and stable.

Toby