[xmonad] Problem with Emacs and XMonad

Bruce Stephens xmonad at cenderis.demon.co.uk
Mon Jun 15 04:16:39 EDT 2009

"Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH" <allbery at ece.cmu.edu> writes:

[...]

> *snort* emacs has always had weird problems with font sizing, and not
> just with xmonad (or even with tiling window managers or non-
> reparenting window managers).

Sure.  The right way to do it ought to be to use M-x list-fonts then
customize default.  But (last time I tried, anyway) that only worked
for the first frame.  But setting resources should work, and seems to
for everyone.

The issue turns out to be the tool-bar: Emacs seems to create its
window with the correct size, then the tool-bar gets added and (with
xmonad) the bottom of the frame is lost.  I doubt that's an xmonad
issue, it's presumably that emacs is assuming it can resize rather
than asking in the proper way.