[xmonad] My ALTernative revelation

Andrew Sackville-West andrew at swclan.homelinux.org
Thu Jun 11 13:24:52 EDT 2009

On Mon, Jun 08, 2009 at 11:12:18PM -0700, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 08, 2009 at 04:10:58PM -0400, Brent Yorgey wrote:

> > This is a good idea, and I actually tried this a while ago, but there
> > were some key combinations with caps-lock that my keyboard generated
> > no events for.  This is when I learned that in order to save
> > space/materials/money, keyboards are constructed in such a way that
> > there are quite a few key combinations between which the hardware
> > can't tell the difference, since there is not a dedicated wire for
> > each key.
> >

> I never cease to be amazed at these things. Who would have thought?
> I haven't found any such combinations yet, and hopefully I won't. I
> suspect not. back in '88 they probably wouldn't have thought to do
> that to a keyboard... I hope.

Ouch, I was wrong. I don't get ctrl-. (and maybe others) on this
keyboard, it appears. In emacs, the key binding C-c C-. gets recognized
as C-c . and further xev reports no difference between a '.' and
'C-.' :(. I tried it in a VT and it was even worse. 'C-.' did *nothing* at
all... :( I wonder if that's a keyboard issue or some other issue in
the keymaps.