[xmonad] xmonad vs. full screen

Thomas Friedrich info at suud.de
Sun Jun 7 14:12:11 EDT 2009

Jens Peter Secher wrote:
> 2009/6/6 Sergey Manucharian <sergey at ingeniware.com>:
>> On Sat, 06 Jun 2009 12:41:52 -0400
>> Thomas Friedrich <info at suud.de> wrote:
>>> In earlier versions of xmonad, when pressing the full screen button
>>> while watching a flash-movie, a new window would be opened,
>>> integrated in whichever layout one was using at the time, and the
>>> video, now running in "full-screen-mode", would take as much
>>> screen-real-estate as xmonad was willing to let it have.
>> I do not see a problem here, since the "not-full-screen-mode" works
>> exactly as you want. What program do you use to play movies, mplayer?
> I think he is talking about what most programs do when they go to
> "full screen", namely remove all decoration and only show the central
> part (of whatever it is they do).  Therefor there can be a tremendous
> difference between how a program uses the available screen-real-estate
> in full-screen and not-full-screen.
> Cheers,
Yeah, this is exactly what I was talking about.  I use the Adobe
Flash-Payer to watch movie in Firefox.  Now, I realized that
not all programs act as above.  For example,  when you go into
full-screen with xpdf, it acts just as expected, i.e. xpdf simply
removes all decoration and only show the central part, the document.