[xmonad] Re: darcs patch: U.Loggers: add maildirNew, other loggers, and logger f...

Brent Yorgey byorgey at seas.upenn.edu
Wed Jun 3 22:32:35 EDT 2009

On Wed, Jun 03, 2009 at 02:27:42PM -0400, Sean McEligot wrote:

> I thought it was nice to run the status bar internally. I prefer using
> Haskell to shell scripts and internal status information would be available
> that otherwise would not. The one drawback is I was unable to find a way to
> refresh at regular intervals. So, for example, A clock wouldn't be updated
> until the user switched windows.

Yup, this is a definite drawback.  The problem, of course, is that the logHook
only runs when xmonad's status changes.

Actually, I wonder if we could use the new eventHandlerHook (or
whatever it's called) to run the logHook at regular intervals (it
shouldn't hurt to run the logHook *more* often).  We just need some
external process to generate synthetic X events of some sort.  Anyone
know how to do that

-Brent