[xmonad] Layout for GIMP. How to?

portnov portnov84 at rambler.ru
Tue Jun 2 10:48:45 EDT 2009

On 31 мая 2009 16:13:11 Khudyakov Alexey wrote:
> Hello
>
> I'm trying to create layout for Gimp. It's program which really asked for
> clever layout and otherwise not very usable.
>
> First I've tried Nathan's layout based on nested IMs [1]. However it didn't
> worked well.
> 1. There is only one window in side panels (Layers etc). If I open two dock
> windows one of
> them goes into main working area.
> 2. If I open two image windows and move mouse cursor to toolbox one of
> windows always gets in front. Observed only with Full layout.
>

> How should it work in my opinion. Screen is separated in three vertical
> areas. Left is for tools. Center is working area. Right for docks. Right
> and central area has own layouts. Center must have way to change layouts.
>
> Other ideas are welcome too.

In my opinion, in most cases it's better to dock gimp docks to toolbox, to
have one window for all settings and toolbox, not two. I use

reflectHoriz $ withIM (1%4) ((Role "gimp-toolbox") `Or` (Title "Brush
selection") `Or` (Role "toolbox_window")) column

where column = Column 1.8

where Column layout is http://iportnov.ru/files/Column.hs (I did not make a
darcs patch for that yet).  It places all windows (all image windows, in case
for Gimp and withIM) in one column, such that (height of 1st window)/(height
of 2nd window) =(height of 2nd window)/(height of 3rd window) = ... = 1.8. I
change that ratio with Shrink/Expand messages.

WBR, Portnov.