[xmonad] startup programs

Olivier Schwander oschwand at chadok.info
Sun Jul 26 14:52:19 EDT 2009

Le 25 Jul 2009 23:47, Bozelos Dimitris a écrit:
> Hello everyone,

Hi,

> After making the usual statement that I'm completely new to xmonad and I have no clue about haskell, I have loved xmonad and I have a question to find out if I can make more out of it:
> I'm using fedora linux with xmonad and i'm preparing for a music performance. I need at the concert to be able to startup my laptop and if possible to have everything up and running, without having to switch between desktops and run terminals & programs. This means that I don't only want to run some programs at startup (which could be done in the usual way for linux with a startup script - although I don't really know much about it) but I want the programs to be ran from terminals and be placed in the desktops in the way I would do manually after launching xmonad.
> Is this possible with xmonad? Any simple tutorials available on this? Thanks,

You can launch each terminal you want to put on the desktop FooBar with
the command "xterm -name gotoFooBar" and add the following manageDocks
to your xmonad.hs:

myManageHook = manageDocks <+> composeAll
    [ title =? "gotoFooBar" --> doF (W.shift "FooBar")
    ]

Moreover, you can know the class and the name of an X windows with the
command xprop.

Cheers,

Olivier