[xmonad] Issue 19 in xmonad: Investigate a way to allow contrib extensions to use compositing.

codesite-noreply at google.com codesite-noreply at google.com
Sat Jul 25 15:27:11 EDT 2009

Comment #13 on issue 19 by amdragon: Investigate a way to allow contrib
extensions to use compositing.

Regarding cairo-compmgr, I've been tinkering with using Cairo from within
xmonad and
it works quite well.  It seems like a good option for drawing once the basic
compositing machinery is in place.

I've done very little actual implementation of compositing itself, but it
seems like
things based on "automatic redirection" would be fairly easy to do in
xmonad's
architecture, though they could benefit from easier access to X events
(only the
current layout can receive X events) and better timer support for
animations (threads
perhaps?).  However, automatic redirection only lets you access window
contents.  In
order to change the way windows are drawn, we need manual redirection,
which places
the onus of drawing the entire screen on xmonad and, thus, is a much bigger
challenge
and would probably require core changes.