[xmonad] Changing module headers

Gwern Branwen gwern0 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 10 21:45:17 EDT 2009

On Tue, Jun 30, 2009 at 9:05 PM, Adam Vogt<vogt.adam at gmail.com> wrote:
> You could strip comments with something like this. The results might be
> slightly better, depending on how well sim works. Haskell-src-exts is
> improving, but it still fails on a couple modules in contrib.
>
> #!/usr/bin/env runghc
>
>> import System.Environment
>> import Language.Haskell.Exts
>> import Control.Monad
>
>> main = mapM_ (putStrLn . prettyPrint . fromParseResult <=< parseFile) =<< getArgs

That's useful, but I think it's not as good as changing the module
headers. As you say, that will choke on some modules; it's an extra
step; and by removing comments entirely, one can no longer investigate
any duplication in *comments* as well as code (I'm sure copy-pasta of
comments exists, even if only in the module headers.)

And I don't entirely understand the reticence to use multi-line
comments. Weren't they intended for exactly these sorts of situations,
massive comment blocks spanning entire pages? How exactly are a couple
hundred prefixed '--'s superior to a {- -}?

--
gwern