[xmonad] switching windows' Z-order?

wagnerdm at seas.upenn.edu wagnerdm at seas.upenn.edu
Sun Jul 5 00:42:44 EDT 2009

Quoting "Chengqi(Lars) Song" <songcq at gmail.com>:

> I have problem when using gimp. all Gimp's windows are set to be
> float. But when I open two pictures, the 1st one's window is covered
> by the 2nd one. And there is no way to switch their Z-order so that
> the 1st one can be brought to front. Is there any way to always
> bring the focused window front?

Floating and tiled windows are interleaved in layout order.  Layout
order determines z-order.  Therefore, to change z-order, use whatever
keybinding you have for moving windows around within a layout (default
mod-shift-j and mod-shift-k); you may have to press it several times
to affect the (visible) z-order.  Specifically for the Gimp, you may
also enjoy the "tab" keybinding that Gimp provides to hide and reveal
the auxiliary toolbar dialogs.

Cheers,
~d