[xmonad] New User Impressions

Kathryn Andersen kat_lists at katspace.org
Thu Jan 29 07:17:02 EST 2009

On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 04:40:28PM -0500, Brent Yorgey wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 26, 2009 at 07:26:32PM +1100, Kathryn Andersen wrote:
> > 4) What things are missing?
> >
> > a) xmonad appears to support fewer keybindings than other window managers;
> > however, I got around this by installing xbindkeys and using those
> > keys-which-xmonad-does-not-support to spawn programs rather than control
> > the window manager.
>
> I'm not sure what you mean by this.  What keybindings does xmonad not support?

It doesn't support "extra" keys such as XF86Back XF86Forward etc; these
keys are recognised by recent versions of X11, and are recognised by
other window managers such as Fvwm, but when I tried making keybindings
for them in xmonad, it didn't work, and the documentation didn't include
them in the list of supported keys.

But as I said, there's a workaround, and I rather like the workaround,
because I hadn't known about the existence of xbindkeys before.

Kathryn Andersen