[xmonad] darcs patch: X actions in DynamicLog

Brent Yorgey byorgey at seas.upenn.edu
Tue Jan 27 17:04:11 EST 2009

On Fri, Jan 02, 2009 at 10:43:09PM +0100, asgaroth wrote:
> The attached patch makes it possible to use arbitrary X actions in the
> functions in DynamicLog, e.g. to display the window count for each
> workspace or display other more dynamic information. I supplied an
> additional PPX data type and functions that use it in order to maintain
> compatability with current configs.
> (This is my first contribution to a Haskell project and I'm not very
> skilled in writing Haskell code, so the patch probably contains style
> errors).

Why isn't the ppExtras field sufficient?  Even if you wanted to, say,
put the window count for each workspace *next to* the corresponding
workspace name (by default the output from ppExtras will be in a
separate section of the output), you could always define ppOutput to
munge/reorder the information however you like.  So I think (correct
me if I'm wrong), anything you could do with PPX you can already do
currently, by using ppExtras to get the information and then ppOutput
to parse the generated info and reformat it however you want.  Maybe
that seems like something of a hack, but I am hesitant to apply this
patch since it ends up duplicating so much code, and most of the added
X annotations in the PPX type are fairly useless.

-Brent