[xmonad] Re: Webpage information and a (practical) tour of the Xmonad Contrib in progress

Braden Shepherdson Braden.Shepherdson at gmail.com
Mon Jan 26 11:58:07 EST 2009

Ismael Carnales wrote:
> Hello, first I want to adress that dmenu and gmrun (both in the
> default keybindings and dmenu mentioned in the guided tour) are not
> listed as related tools in the download webpage
> (http://xmonad.org/download.html), i think they belong there.
>
> Secondly I'm starting a doc that pretends to be a guided tour
> lookalike of some of the XMonad Contrib, I'm starting this mainly
> because I think it's very difficult for newcomers to discover what
> extra features XMonad provides. Haddock documentation is pretty useful
> when you know what you are looking for, but when you're looking around
> to find if some feature is implemented already, the way that the
> documentation is indexed (by alphabetical order) doesn't help much.
>
> The in progress document is located here
> http://haskell.org/haskellwiki/XMonadContribTour and all are welcomed
> to contribute/comment/correct/etc.
>
> byebye!

I have some progress on something like this on my blog[1], what I've
named the Pimp Your XMonad series of posts. The goal is to highlight
cool things new users might not have known xmonad can do, and how to set
them up. It grew out of the commonly seen sequence on #xmonad:
<A> Can xmonad do feature X?
<B> Yeah, that XMonad.Foo.Bar
<A> Thanks
<C> Whoa, it can do that? I never thought that might be possible.

Perhaps the two should be combined in some way?

Braden Shepherdson
shepheb

[1] http://braincrater.wordpress.com