[xmonad] darcs patch: Support for spawning processes on a specific workspace

Roman Cheplyaka roma at ro-che.info
Mon Jan 26 01:17:05 EST 2009

* Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH <allbery at ece.cmu.edu> [2009-01-25 18:38:54-0500]
> On 2009 Jan 25, at 15:20, Roman Cheplyaka wrote:
>> * Daniel Schoepe <asgaroth_ at gmx.de> [2009-01-25 20:17:56+0100]
>>> Hello.
>>> This patch adds functionality to spawn a process on a specific
>>> workspace
>>> by using the "_NET_WM_PID" property that most applications set for
>>> their
>>> windows(idea by sjanssen).
>>
>> By the way, shouldn't it be possible with the same method to force
>> applications appear at the same workspace they were launched?
>

> Only if you can make the app tag its window with that somehow.  I think
> you'll find there's no way to do it automatically.

Tag with what? They are already tagged with _NET_WM_PID, as observed.

The module maintains a map from PID to workspace on which application should
be launched. Rather than explicitly specify workspace, we can use the
current workspace at the moment app is launched.

"Don't let school get in the way of your education." - Mark Twain