[xmonad] spawn functions are not unicode safe

Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH allbery at ece.cmu.edu
Thu Jan 15 22:56:50 EST 2009

On 2009 Jan 15, at 12:04, Gwern Branwen wrote:
> Perhaps we're over-thinking all this. Is it a problem in any way to
> run encodeString over a String that is just normal ASCII (that is, no
> funky Unicode)?

AFAIK the only reason this is an issue at all is the desire to keep
the dependencies of the core minimal; there is no technical reason
otherwise for leaving the core's spawn as is.  So the real question is
whether we want to make the core depend on utf8-string or come up with
some ugly hack that lets core use the ASCII-only version while contrib
modules can use the UTF8 one.

system administrator [openafs,heimdal,too many hats] allbery at ece.cmu.edu