[xmonad] New XMonadContrib module: IndependentScreens

Fred Blasdel blasdelf at gmail.com
Tue Feb 24 16:13:06 EST 2009

On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 12:39 PM, <wagnerdm at seas.upenn.edu> wrote:

> Quoting Fred Blasdel <blasdelf at gmail.com>:
>
>  Isn't this how workspaces have worked in xmonad for a long itme? Each
>> screen is already a view onto an independent workspace from a shared
>> list of workspaces -- I'm confused as to what you're trying to add.
>>

> This is exactly the thing that annoys me -- that the list of workspaces is
> shared.  My module changes that (sort of).

The shared workspace pool is the thing I love most about xmonad! I was
thinking of writing my own window manager to get just that feature when
xmonad was released (and I was already a haskeller). It annoys me to no end
how nearly every "virtual desktop" implementation treats multiple monitors
as one desktop.

Does your module segregate the workspaces into monitor-specific sets, that
can still be switched independently?

 -- Fred