[xmonad] Re: [Haskell-cafe] A day with xmonad

Wirt Wolff wirtwolff at gmail.com
Sun Feb 15 15:07:03 EST 2009

Excerpts from Colin Paul Adams's message of Sun Feb 15 03:10:52 -0700 2009:
> I have blogged my experience of trying out xmonad with Fedora 10 at
> http://colina.demon.co.uk/?q=node/534 .

I'm sorry your first experiences with xmonad were so frustrating.

Replacing metacity on fedora 10 is apparently a bit unique. Many people
are running xmonad with Gnome smoothly on a variety of distros,
including at least one on fedora 10, so I'm guessing this is probably
a configuration, packaging and documentation issue.

This thread on the xmonad mailing list discusses fedora 10 xmonad setup:

http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.haskell.xmonad/6557

It is linked from the xmonad wiki Gnome setup guide [1], but it would
certainly be much nicer to have an actual 'Fedora 10 XMonad Setup Guide',
or even better, to have xmonad packaged to "just work" on fedora.

Any fedora xmonad users interested in packaging?

Another possibility, (although not applicable if using Config.Gnome or the
default Hooks.DynamicLog status bar functions,) is this issue with writing
to unread pipes in the logHook. [2]

[1] http://haskell.org/haskellwiki/Xmonad/Using_xmonad_in_Gnome#Fedora_10_and_further_links
[2] http://code.google.com/p/xmonad/issues/detail?id=91

regards,