[xmonad] Article about xmonad not making X errors?

Daniel Schoepe asgaroth_ at gmx.de
Fri Feb 13 14:20:12 EST 2009

Joseph Garvin wrote:
> I recall reading at some point an article or blog post that discussed
> how XMonad leveraged the type system to guarantee that X errors
> couldn't occur. But no matter how much googling I do now I can't find
> it; I musn't be using the right search terms. Anyone know where it is?

The type system can't guarantee that xmonad produces no X errors, since
it relies on the ffi and secondly, matching types don't imply
correctness, especially when dealing with IO-ish stuff. I think you
might be referring to this article by Neil Mitchell(author of Hoogle and
Catch, iirc) that proves for an old xmonad that the core won't fail due
to error-calls or failed pattern matches:
http://neilmitchell.blogspot.com/2007/05/does-xmonad-crash.html