[xmonad] Can't get Urgency Hook to work

Jeremy O'Brien obrien654j at gmail.com
Fri Feb 13 13:57:05 EST 2009

On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 02:13:09AM +0000, Henri Ducrocq wrote:
> Here is the relevant bit from my xmonad.hs:
>
> main = xmonad
>         $ withUrgencyHook dzenUrgencyHook
>         $ gnomeConfig
>
> When I echo a bell character from xterm, the corresponding button in my
> "task bar" flashes, however nothing else happens. dzen2 seems to be working
> ok, and I see nothing in .xsession-errors.
> I read all of the doc for UrgencyHook, played with SpawnUrgencyHook as well,
> I can't see what I'm doing wrong...
>
> Could it be that the task bar catches the event and prevents it from being
> dispatched to xmonad?
> Or what?

When you echo the bell, are you making sure that you are not on the same
workspace as the terminal you are belling from? To test, do a

sleep 2; echo -e '\a'

,then immediately switch workspaces. Does it work then?

--
Jeremy O'Brien aka neutral_insomniac
GPG key: 0xB1140FDB http://pohl.ececs.uc.edu/~jeremy/jeremy.asc