[xmonad] Odd behaviour of Combo and Tabbed

Kathryn Andersen kat_lists at katspace.org
Thu Feb 5 18:05:53 EST 2009

I've been enjoying xmonad, building layouts with Combo, but it isn't
doing quite what I expect.

code:
import XMonad.Layout.Tabbed
import XMonad.Layout.DragPane
import XMonad.Layout.Combo
import XMonad.Layout.Named

myBasicTabbed = named "KA Tabbed" $ tabbedAlways shrinkText myTheme
myVertPane = dragPane Vertical 0.1 0.5
myDuplexTall = named "Duplex Tall"
  (combineTwo myVertPane myBasicTabbed myBasicTabbed)

Note that I am using "tabbedAlways" because I always want tabs on my
windows.

Using the myDuplexTall layout, this is what I expect:

With one window: window in whole area, tab on the window
With two windows: two columns, side by side, tabs on both windows

What I get:

With one window: window in whole area, NO tab on the window
(incorrect)
With two windows: two columns, side by side, tabs on both windows
(correct)

With other, more complex layouts, the pattern seems to be that tabs
are displayed one fewer than one would expect.

For example, here's a three-window layout:

myDuplexWide = named "Duplex Wide"
  (combineTwo myHorizPane myBasicTabbed myBasicTabbed)
myTrioTabbed = named "Trio"
  (combineTwo myVertPane myBasicTabbed myDuplexWide)

What I get:
With one window: window in whole area, NO tab on the window
(incorrect)
With two windows: two columns, side by side, tab on one window, no tab
on the second window (incorrect)
With three windows: tabs on all windows (correct)

Why is this happening, and what can I do to fix it?

Kathryn Andersen