[xmonad] Help: How to disable font smoothing?

Andrew Sackville-West andrew at swclan.homelinux.org
Sun Dec 13 10:22:17 EST 2009

On Sat, Dec 12, 2009 at 07:51:10AM -0500, Yuliang Wang wrote:
> Hello everybody! I just moved from gnome to xmonad and think it's good. I
> prefer fonts not to be smoothed, so in gnome I use gnome-appearance-settings
> and set the smoothing option to 'none' (other options are 'gray scale' and
> 'subpixel'). How to configure those in xmonad? (By default, the fonts in
> firefox in xmonad are smoothed.), and how to set the background and text
> colors of applications in general?

there is no "general" solution as it depends on the app. In theory GTK
apps should respect settings in .gtkrc and friends. Likewise, many
apps will respect settings in .Xdefaults, particularly things like X
terminal emulators.

A couple of firefox about:config settings that might help:

> browser.display.auto_quality_min_font_size

sets the minimum size for using "quality" fonts. The default for
everything below this size is a fast but ugly font, apparently. So
tweaking this value may get you what you want.

> gfx.use_text_smoothing_setting

should be fairly obvious. Mozzila claims this is an OS X only option,
but there are some reports of people having success with it in
linux. ymmv.