[xmonad] Small announce about the completion of the bluetile merge

Jan Vornberger Jan.Vornberger at Informatik.Uni-Oldenburg.DE
Wed Dec 9 10:37:28 EST 2009

Hey!

On Mon, Dec 07, 2009 at 05:53:29PM -0600, Spencer Janssen wrote:
> In the past we've saved all new features for major releases, with these
> releases fairly far apart.  The next major release of xmonad is 1.0, which
> is potentially months away considering some of the things we have in mind.
> My hunch is that you'd rather not wait so long.
>
> [...]
>
> We could make a minor release as soon as 1-2 weeks, with more releases
> on a monthly basis as needed.

Your hunch is right. :-) But a timeframe of 1-2 weeks sounds great.

> I do think we ought to have XMonad.Config.Bluetile.  I'm certain that at least
> some Bluetile users will want to configure it a bit, so we'll need an upgrade
> path.

I agree, so I just pushed two patches, one of them containing
XMonad.Config.Bluetile and the other BluetileCommands, which I
previously mentioned is used to remote-control Bluetile.

So the only thing not in xmonad-contrib is now the dock application,
which won't go in anyway, because of the gtk2hs dependency.
But except for that, with XMonad.Config.Bluetile you can now get pretty much
the same thing as with the 'real' Bluetile, providing a good upgrade
path.

Judging from the discussion, I feel that most people agree with me that
Bluetile should continue to exist as a separat project to be able to
provide the easiest possible installation process. So it would be great
if a 0.9.1 minor release of xmonad and xmonad-contrib could be made, to
allow for Bluetile to be packaged.

Combined with XMonad.Contrib.Bluetile it is then an easy step for
Bluetile users to switch to xmonad should they want to start tinkering
with the configuration.

Cheers!

Jan