[xmonad] Small announce about the completion of the bluetile merge

Daniel Schoepe daniel.schoepe at googlemail.com
Tue Dec 8 13:15:42 EST 2009

On Mon, Dec 07, 2009 at 07:27:31PM -0500, Gwern Branwen wrote:
> Here's something I've been thinking. What if we came up with an
> xmonad.hs that included all the stuff everybody asks for and the
> obvious newbie aids like a first-run xmesage prompt? (Let's call this
> a standardConfig, as opposed to barebonesConfig or pimpedOutConfig.)
>
> Then we could take the current xmonad package, rename it
> 'xmonad-core'*; the new 'xmonad' would be basically a cabal file
> depending on xmonad-core and xmonad-contrib, and an executable reading
> 'Main.hs...importXMonad...import XMonadContrib.StandardConfig...main =
> xmonad standardConfig'. (xmonad-core's executable would be left alone
> of course.)
>
> If we get ambitious, the new xmonad main could do more. Perhaps we
> could check for XineRama in main and then modify our standardConfig to
> use SmartBorders or not?
>
> This, I think, could make everyone happy:

For what it's worth, I think this is a great idea and would solve the
biggest problems most beginners face(e.g. contrib not installed,
standard configuration extremely minimal even when compared to other
tiling WMs, which e.g. automatically have a statusbar)
without "polluting" core.
The effort seems to be rather minimal in comparison to the advantages.