[xmonad] Question about using things in xmonad-contrib-bluetilebranch-0.8.1.2

Amy de Buitléir amy at nualeargais.ie
Mon Aug 31 06:42:13 EDT 2009

> You don't need bluetile for GridSelect, it just isn't included in the
> released version of xmonad(i.e. it didn't exist at that time). My
> suggestion is to remove bluetile(it might be possible to have both
> installed, since bluetile seems to be hidden though) and install the
> darcs version of xmonad and xmonad-contrib, which contains
> GridSelect. You can then use it just like any other module.  See the
> "From darcs" section here: http://xmonad.org/download.html

Thank you for the advice. Installation of the darcs version of Xmonad went
fine, but I ran into a snag when I tried to install the darcs version of
XMonadContrib:

darcs get http://code.haskell.org/XMonadContrib
cd XMonadContrib/
runhaskell Setup.lhs configure

...after that last command, I got this message:

Configuring xmonad-contrib-0.8.1...
Setup.lhs: At least the following dependencies are missing:
utf8-string -any

So I did "cabal install utf8-string", which ran without errors. Then I
retried "runhaskell Setup.lhs configure" and got the same error. Any
suggestions?

Thank you in advance,
Amy