[xmonad] Problem with Multi-head setup

wagnerdm at seas.upenn.edu wagnerdm at seas.upenn.edu
Mon Aug 24 15:41:30 EDT 2009

Here is the way I understand it.  Likely some of the following
statements will be subtly wrong, and I apologize in advance for
spreading my misconceptions about X.

There are two distinct pieces of X called Xinerama.  One of the pieces
is a set of library calls used for communicating the size and
locations of physical screens in logical space within a single
DISPLAY.  xmonad uses these library calls to break your physical
screens into separate logical workspaces.  As such, the library called
xinerama is required for multi-head support.

However, I understand that there are other ways of controlling
multiple monitors, in particular running several different DISPLAYs
under X, one for each screen.  You may of course do this; then you
must start a separate xmonad instance for each DISPLAY.  There is
currently no integration for this; i.e. no way to send windows from
one DISPLAY to another (though I hear rumors that some window managers
do have such capabilities).

Other than those two options, I am not familiar with any other way of
driving multiple monitors.
Cheers,
~d