[xmonad] alt q causes crash

Daniel Goldin danielgoldin at gmail.com
Wed Aug 19 16:41:52 EDT 2009

I'm a non-programmer type who has gotten xmonad working great by cut and pasting from the wiki -- with one caveat -- when I hit alt q, not only does nothing happen, but I lose all keyboard shortcuts. I looked through the documentation, and I get the impression I have to change the key settings in some way that is beyond my limited abilities. Any help greatly appreciated.

I load from .xinitrc and had to set the path in this file to load xmonad from my ~/.cabal/bin directory. I have a feeling this has something to do with the problem.

Here is my xmonad.hs file

---------------------- snip --------------------------

import XMonad
import XMonad.Hooks.DynamicLog
import XMonad.Hooks.ManageDocks
import XMonad.Util.Run(spawnPipe)
import XMonad.Util.EZConfig(additionalKeys)
import System.IO

main = do
    xmproc <- spawnPipe "/home/daniel/.cabal/bin/xmobar /home/daniel/.xmobarrc"
    xmonad $ defaultConfig
        { manageHook = manageDocks <+> manageHook defaultConfig
        , layoutHook = avoidStruts  $  layoutHook defaultConfig
        , logHook = dynamicLogWithPP $ xmobarPP
                        { ppOutput = hPutStrLn xmproc
                        , ppTitle = xmobarColor "green" "" . shorten 50
                        }
        , modMask = mod4Mask     -- Rebind Mod to the Windows key
    , workspaces = ["term","emacs","web","fm","mutt","music","wp","misc","misc2"]
    , borderWidth = 2
        } `additionalKeys`
        [ ((mod4Mask .|. shiftMask, xK_z), spawn "xscreensaver-command -lock")
        , ((controlMask, xK_Print), spawn "sleep 0.2; scrot -s")
        , ((0, xK_Print), spawn "scrot")
        ]