[xmonad] XMonad.Actions.Search parsing and a new dep

Don Stewart dons at galois.com
Wed Aug 12 16:18:53 EDT 2009

byorgey:
> On Sun, Aug 09, 2009 at 08:16:20AM -0400, Gwern Branwen wrote:
> > On Fri, Aug 7, 2009 at 8:49 PM, Don Stewart<dons at galois.com> wrote:
> >> spencerjanssen:

> >> what about using the uri package (or ripping it out).
> >>
> >> -- Don
> >
> > Well, as far as ripping it out goes, it presumably is valuable to the fellow who took the effort to code it up and then get it into XMC (Michal Trybus).
>
> I'm guessing Don meant to rip the isURI function out of its package
> and paste it into the Search module with a comment saying where it
> came from, not ripping out the 'intelligent' function.
>
> There is a 'url' package on Hackage, not sure if that's what Don was
> referring to.  Yes, I know URL is not the same thing as URI, but
> really, are we ever going to refer to a search engine by something
> that is a URI but not a URL?

Indeed, that is what I meant.

I think adding 'network' as a dependency is a bad precedent. It goes one
step too far towards bloat. My window manager should not confuse users
by appearing to ask for network access. It's a delicate tension between
features and bloat.

By all means inline the require url/uri code you need though.

-- Don