[xmonad] XMonadContrib patch review

gwern0 at gmail.com gwern0 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 1 07:40:01 EDT 2009

It's that time of the month - time for all lonely chillun' patches to gather close to the dying fire and eke out what comfort they can from the modicum of attention I can spare; the night is long, and the huddled patches so lonesome. 'Love me, read me!' they say. (I am sorry, little ones, I can but look at your status and move on.)

Today we'll be reviewing XMC: http://darcswatch.nomeata.de/repo_http:__code.haskell.org_XMonadContrib.html which has 11 patches outstanding, including 2 veterans of this Missing Patches bulletin from 2008:

* "XMonad.Actions.DynamicKeys: utilities to update key bindings at runtime"
<http://www.haskell.org/pipermail/xmonad/2008-July/006041.html>
Applicable. No comments. Requires the patch to XMonad core discussed previously.

20081019140330: FocusNth improvements fixed  by Aleksey Artamonov <aleksey.artamonov at gmail.com> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.haskell.xmonad/6320
Not currently applicable; but this seems to be because of unrelated changes to the FocusNth module. The one comment by Wirt Wolff on it was favorable, and the maintainer has not commented on it for the last 23 weeks (at least).

20090128004726: NoWrap export patch for use with X.L.MessageControl  by quentin.moser at unifr.ch
Adam Vogt remarked 14 April that "These apply cleanly, and seem useful enough." Since noone has objected, and the patch has been extant for quite some time, it applies cleanly/compiles/passes tests, doesn't seem obviously wrong to a layout dunce like myself, and does not affect other modules, I have taken it upon myself to push this into the main XMC repo. Consider this due notification!

20090315001809: X.H.ManageDocks: Added manageDocksConfig  by Braden Shepherdson <Braden.Shepherdson at gmail.com>
Doesn't apply cleanly. No comments.

20090428192731: NS_Placement  by konstantin.sobolev at gmail.com
20090428200136: ScratchpadRewrite  by konstantin.sobolev at gmail.com
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.haskell.xmonad/7592
Applies cleanly. Got bogged down in bikeshedding; I'm tempted to apply it and let Wogt or Wolff code up some patches if they really care about long identifiers and 2 modules rather than one.

20090503195026: ThreeColMid - Swap slave window positions  by Anders Engstrom  http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.haskell.xmonad/7629<ankaan@gmail.com>
Applies cleanly. Adam Vogt didn't seem too keen on this patch, though, and I can't tell whether Anders is agreeing it's unnecessary or what.

20090618115854: XMonad.Actions.Volume for controlling and grokking amixer within xmonad  by daniel at wagner-home.com
20090618125959: Add helper functions for displaying volume via osd_cat  by Daniel Schoepe <asgaroth_ at gmx.de> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.haskell.xmonad/7896
Applies cleanly. There were no comments.

So that makes 4 or 5 patches which could be applied; and 2 which are broken. I've cc'd relevant people. Let's get some comments on the clean ones!

--
gwern