[xmonad] darcs patch: Module for automatic placement of floating windows

Adam Vogt vogt.adam at gmail.com
Tue Apr 14 03:11:29 EDT 2009

* On Thursday, April 09 2009, Quentin Moser wrote:

>Also, I've reached a stumbling block when trying to improve my
>placeHook function. It currently acts on the WindowSet obtained by 'gets
>windowset', and simply returns 'Endo id'. The reason for this is
>obvious: It needs to do stateful stuff (namely get and set window
>positions at the X11 level), and there's no way I can fit that in a
>function (f :: WindowSet -> WindowSet).

Which issues did you run into in trying to manipulate the WindowSet in
placing floating windows? I think that you can avoid the call to moveWindow
by updating the Data.Map.Map in the WindowSet to respect the new position.

If that works, then hopefully those questionable alternatives you suggested
might not be necessary.

Adam