[xmonad] Issue 221 in xmonad: Grabbing/releasing grab makes mouse inactive

codesite-noreply at google.com codesite-noreply at google.com
Sat Sep 20 04:51:59 EDT 2008

Issue 221: Grabbing/releasing grab makes mouse inactive

New issue report by bardur.arantsson:
What steps will reproduce the problem?

1. Run anything which grabs mouse and keyboard. I used VirtualBox with a
running virtual machine.
2. Let the program grab the mouse and keyboard, e.g. by clicking in a
virtual machine.
3. Release grab by pressing the "release grab" key. For VirtualBox this is
the Right Ctrl key (by default).

I'd expect grab to be released and I'd expect the mouse and keyboard to
work as before being grabbed.

What happens is this: The keyboard and mouse grab is released. The mouse
pointer moves about when I move the mouse, but no mouse events are
registered by the X server. The keyboard seems to work fine for navigating
around in Xmonad/terminals(konsole) and emacs, but the keyboard does *not*
work properly in Firefox/Konqueror/Ktorrent (for example). In the affected
programs (Firefox, etc.) the keyboard works briefly, but after a few
seconds (at most) all further keypresses are ignored completely. If focus
is switched away briefly and switched back to Firefox, the keyboard works
again for a few seconds, but then stops working again (repeat ad nauseam).

I have not been able to reproduce this behavior in KDE (kwin), but it
happens very frequently when releasing grab from VirtualBox in Xmonad. The
behavior also happens even if you enable "mouse integration" (i.e. smooth
movement of the mouse from/to the virtual machine without having to
explicitly release grab) in VirtualBox, but I believe this also uses X11
grab behind the scenes even though you can't really see it.

I'm not sure I have any other programs which grab the keyboard/mouse, so I
cannot be sure whether this issue is solely related to VirtualBox/xmonad
interaction.

I've also tried various combinations of layouts, etc. and I don't believe
it has anything to do with layout choices.

xmonad-0.8 + xmonad-contrib-0.8 compiled using the "official" Gentoo
ebuilds.

Issue attributes:
	Owner: ----
	Labels: Type-Defect Priority-Medium