[xmonad] XDG_CONFIG_HOME (reprise)

Calvin Smith cs-haskell at protempore.net
Thu Sep 4 14:27:46 EDT 2008

On 08/31/2008 12:27 PM, Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH wrote:

> Let me rephrase this: KDE already does the right thing. GNOME seems to
> finally be getting there. Why do I need custom configuration for xmonad?

For what it's worth, I'd like to register my support for this issue too.
freedesktop.org's purpose is to improve interoperability and provide the
"one standard way" of doing things across different X desktops. It seems
that Gnome, KDE, and Xfce are all working closely with them already [1],
and I am surprised that there would be so much resistance here. I think
that for a standard like freedesktop.org that big players like Gnome and
KDE are following, the default policy for xmonad should be to follow the
standard that the big players are following unless there are very good
reasons not to.

On the support issue that Spencer and Devin mentioned, does anybody have
actual examples of desktop environments or distributions that explicitly
set XDG_CONFIG_HOME to some value other than $HOME/.config? Gnome
doesn't set it at all. KDE doesn't set it at all (based on my
interpretation of their online docs). If it's the case that it's hardly
ever set *except* when a user needs to set it to something else and
explicitly sets it, then xmonad would always use the default value of
$HOME/.config, and it seems it would have little impact on support.

That's my $.02.

-calvin

1. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedesktop.org