[xmonad] Call for xmonad.hs

Andrew Sackville-West andrew at swclan.homelinux.org
Wed Oct 22 20:37:37 EDT 2008

On Mon, Oct 20, 2008 at 11:02:25PM -0400, Gwern Branwen wrote:
> On 2008.10.19 15:08:01 -0700, Andrew Sackville-West <andrew at swclan.homelinux.org> scribbled 2.5K characters:

> > the assumption that the user doesn't use the config is just wrong,
> > IMVHO. .... I
> > missed a couple of upgrades, at least, because what I had _just
> > worked_.
>
> This is a problem I didn't really expect (although I
> should've). Besides simply keeping this in mind ('for every user,
> expect there to be more than a few shadow users'), how does this
> affect us? Do we seriously need to worry about installations/users
> going back to, say, Debian stable? Or can we just focus on 0.8?

I think it is reasonable to organize the configs into separate pages
or sections for darcs, current release, previous releases. The reality
is that *some* people will be using older versions, no matter what you
do. And with xmonad in more and more distributions, that problem will
just grow. Catering to those folks who don't want to wander too far
from their base distro by archiving config samples for older versions
make sense, to me.

Also, an archive of configs and (hopefully) screenshots provides a
nice little bit of history.

All that said, just keeping the shadow users in mind is probably
adequate.

> ** I demand an XMC module which hooks into my household alarm system
> ** so that when my house is on fire, I can have cool 3D flames race
> ** across my screen when switching windows!

That's just what I want! The *last* time my house was on fire I was
thinking just that!

;-P