[xmonad] Call for xmonad.hs

Andrew Sackville-West andrew at swclan.homelinux.org
Sun Oct 19 18:08:01 EDT 2008

On Sun, Oct 19, 2008 at 03:59:07PM -0400, Gwern Branwen wrote:
> I'm not sure whether it's worthwhile to
> update them - if they're not being updated by their user, it's
> reasonable to infer the user is no longer using XMonad

I disagree. I use xmonad everyday on three different machines and
wouldn't trade it for anything. But my config in the archive is
woefully out of date. I'll take this as a prompt to jump over and
update mine...

> (in which
> case they aren't useful in considering how to make XMonad users'
> lives easier)

that follows.

> or are using a different config (and then obviously we
> should care less about a configuration even its creator doesn't want
> to use).

the assumption that the user doesn't use the config is just wrong,
IMVHO. It turns out for me, really, the system is so stable and
usable, once tweaked to a reasonably pleasant default, that there is
no need to change. I only started using AvoidStruts (or whatever it's
called) the just the other day because of an unrelated change to my
config which broke my xmonad.hs because defaultGaps wasn't around
anymore. That config hadn't been rebuilt in *months* at least. I
missed a couple of upgrades, at least, because what I had _just
worked_.

I think one of the signs of the success of a product is that certain
subsets of the user population *stop* upgrading. Not because they
aren't using the product, but because the product fits their needs to
a level where it's just a tool and no longer a new thing that needs to
be maintained. tribute to xmonad ;)

> > > So here's what I would greatly appreciate everyone doing:
> > > 1) Upload your config
> > > 2) If you've uploaded your config, update it!

will do. thanks for the reminder!