[xmonad] darcs patch: XMonad.Core: make spawn smarter

Gwern Branwen gwern0 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 8 17:20:48 EDT 2008

On 2008.09.27 12:50:24 -0500, Spencer Janssen <spencerjanssen at gmail.com> scribbled 2.5K characters:
> This is how I propose we move forward:
>  * reject this patch to the core
>  * document the fact that XMonad.spawn uses /bin/sh
>  * add spawnShell (or some better name) to XMonad.Util.Run which executes its
>    argument in $SHELL.

These seem reasonable to me. I believe the spawn doc has been improved, so that's done.

How do you suggest spawnShell be written? As essentially the slightly modified spawn my patch suggests? Or would it be something like 'spawnShell a = do sh <- getEnv "SHELL"; spawn (sh ++ " -c" ++ a)' (if you follow me)?

--
gwern
assasinate SEMTEX CATO AVN morse AC spook Verint PEM Psyops