[xmonad] How to handle modal dialog windows

Devin Mullins me at twifkak.com
Wed Oct 8 12:38:26 EDT 2008

On Wed, Oct 08, 2008 at 12:30:00AM +0200, Peter wrote:
> However, with the layouts I use, those windows get scaled to fill have
> of the screen, left to the application. That is annoying , in particular
> since the control buttons (OK Cancel ) do not appear , so I have to
> force quit that window.

1. You can manually float / resize a window by using the mouseBindings,
   or add the FloatKeys contrib to do it by keyboard.

2. xprop the window -- if you can find some uniquely identifying
   information, you can turn it into a ManageHook.

3. xmonad does have a heuristic for when to automatically float a
   window: those that set a fixed size (min == max) or that set
   WM_TRANSIENT_FOR. Firefox doesn't do either in this case.