[xmonad] Re: darcs patch: GridSelect

Braden Shepherdson Braden.Shepherdson at gmail.com
Wed Nov 12 18:27:37 EST 2008

Clemens Fruhwirth wrote:
> There are a few ideas that I haven't found time to toy with. First I
> like the window arrangement to be more static. At the moment, the
> windows are sorted (by XMonad) according to its last use and
> GridSelect arranges them spiraling outwards in a diamond like
> pattern. Mentally, I can only keep track of the usage history to the
> depth of 2-3 for blindly selecting window. For everything else, I have
> to read titles. It would be more helpful to give fixed spots to
> windows. Of course, windows get deleted and new windows pop up all the
> time. Probably it would be good to defragment/sort by display time
> upon a key press.

I really like this idea. What occurs to me is something closer to Expose
functionality, showing all the window titles arranged in a manner
similar to how they are arranged on your workspaces themselves.

> Substring search on window titles is another idea. As GridSelect uses
> cursor keys for the moment, the rest of the keyboard could be used to
> enter the string used in searching. GridSelect should then gray out
> the windows that do not contain the search term.

As a vimperator user, I couldn't agree more. Infix search matching, and
it selects when you uniquely identify one. Maybe even numeric hints? I'm
not sure how easy this would be with whatever you used to create the
titles. Maybe xosd?

> Fruhwirth Clemens - http://clemens.endorphin.org

An excellent new add-on, thank you!

Braden Shepherdson