[xmonad] Re: Config File Format

David Roundy droundy at darcs.net
Fri May 16 07:45:29 EDT 2008

On Fri, May 16, 2008 at 12:41:06PM +0200, Joachim Breitner wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, den 15.05.2008, 22:09 -0600 schrieb Justin Bogner:
> > Braden Shepherdson wrote:
> > I don't see why a ghc dependency is a big deal in environments like
> > debian and ubuntu, other than the fact that they lagged way behind on
> > versions until recently. The overhead of installing ghc in order to edit
> > the config is similar to the overhead of installing, say, python so that
> > you can run a python app. Disk space is cheap and package management is
> > transparent these days.
>
> It's not cheap for everyone, ghc6 might be lagging behind on certain
> architectures and I'm sure that some Debian users would like the
> possibility of having a simple configuration file

Does debian really allow binary haskell packages to be uploaded for
architectures where they can't be built using a ghc haskell?! That just
seems insane.  I agree with Braden that adding yet another config file
format won't do our users any good, and that the issue of a ghc install is
a red herring.

David