[xmonad] Add 'browser' to XConfig

Roman Cheplyaka roma at ro-che.info
Mon Mar 31 14:24:42 EDT 2008

* David Roundy <droundy at darcs.net> [2008-03-31 11:12:51-0700]
> On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 07:51:31PM +0300, Roman Cheplyaka wrote:
> > * David Roundy <droundy at darcs.net> [2008-03-31 09:05:33-0700]

> > > I'm not sure what you're asking.  You'd just start a terminal and then run
> > > echo $BROWSER to see what the value is.
> >
> > Sorry, I was in hurry.
> > I mean, how do you see runtime configuration of some environment
> > variable, like BROWSER? If xmonad is up and running, I see no way to
> > change its environment from outside. Even restarting it (mod-q) doesn't
> > seem to allow this.
>
> We'd just define a little prompt module, and then do something like
>
> setEnv "BROWSER" "new value" True
>
> This would also solve my problem with connecting a new ssh-agent to xmonad
> (and thus to new terminals started by xmonad).

Ah, that will work. But if we introduce global configuration variable,
it's weird to configure it specially for xmonad.

I'd propose you to make symlink somewhere in your $PATH (like
$HOME/bin/x-www-browser) which would point to your preferred browser.
And this solution would allow truly runtime configuration.

--
Roman I. Cheplyaka (aka Feuerbach @ IRC)