[xmonad] proposal: add extra screen parameter to runLayout

Brent Yorgey byorgey at gmail.com
Wed Mar 26 18:25:17 EDT 2008

On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 2:14 PM, Spencer Janssen <sjanssen at cse.unl.edu>
wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 10:37:48AM -0400, Brent Yorgey wrote:
> > So, this morning I began hacking up gaps as a LayoutModifier in contrib.
> > didn't get too far before I realized that in order to retain the same
> > behavior as the current built-in gaps (*per screen* gap configuration),
> > layout needs to be able to know on which *screen* it is called!  This is
> the
> > point at which I had a profound sense of deja vu, since of course we had
> the
> > same issue with PerWorkspace, only with *screen* replaced by
> *workspace*.
> > gah!
> >
> > I think, however, this could be useful information for other potential
> > layouts as well -- I don't have any particular examples in mind, but
> having
> > layouts that can behave differently depending on which screen they're on
> > sounds like it could be useful for more than just per-screen gaps.  So,
> > propose to add an extra screen parameter to runLayout and friends (which
> of
> > course requires a bunch of trivial updates in contrib, unfortunately).
>  I'm
> > happy to do all the work, but I wanted to throw this idea out there
> first
> > and see what people think, whether anyone has any better ideas, and so
> on.
> >
> > -Brent
>
> Why bother with implementing the manual gap semantics as a layout?  I'm
> planning on replacing gaps with avoidStruts -- can you demonstrate any
> advantages of manual gaps over avoidStruts?

Well, if all you are using gaps for is to avoid certain status bar/dock-type
windows, then no; obviously a dedicated "manual gaps" module would be useful
if you wanted gaps for any other reason.  I can't think of any, though.  As
discussed on the IRC channel, I'll now focus my efforts on adding some
features to ManageDocks (in particular, the ability to toggle gaps for
different docks independently is important to me), which I'll push after the
0.7 release.

I'll still keep my half-done gaps code around, though, just in case someone
ends up wanting it. =)

-Brent