[xmonad] darcs patch: Add EventHook: a layout modifier to hand... (and 8 more)

David Roundy droundy at darcs.net
Sat Mar 22 11:55:34 EDT 2008

On Tue, Mar 18, 2008 at 10:04:17PM +0100, Joachim Breitner wrote:
> They basically work, but not fully reliable, although all messages arrive.
> Maybe some race conditions with other xmonad code, this needs to be checked
> by more experienced coders (check function "handler"). But as it does not
> introduce a regression, it should be save to apply to the main line.

I've just gotten a chance to take a look at these, and have some
explanation as to why they aren't working right.  The core problem is that
broadcastMessage is buggy, and you can't safely call windows inside event
hooks that are called from broadcastMessage.  Andreas came up with a fix
for this bug, but apparently it was never applied to the core.

So in short, don't bother spending time debugging this: most likely the
main bugs aren't yours.  Of course, you could lobby for fixes in core, but
that's a slow and tedious process.
--
David Roundy
Department of Physics