[xmonad] Ubuntu, Xmonad, and Xinerama

David Roundy droundy at darcs.net
Wed Mar 19 12:09:41 EDT 2008

On Wed, Mar 19, 2008 at 06:02:14PM +0200, Roman Cheplyaka wrote:
> * Christopher Sanner <hitch at propheteer.org> [2008-03-19 11:24:58-0400]
> >
> > David Roundy wrote:
> >> Someone really should figure out how to build software reliably using ghc
> >> packages.  This is just embarassing.  And then we could tell the cabal
> >> folks how to do this.
> >>
> >> I understand that dons is reluctant to load up ghc every time xmonad loads,
> >> but perhaps we could figure out some way to track the modification date of
> >> the xmonad and/or xmonad-contrib packages and recompile if those have
> >> changed.
> >>
> > alternatively, could the installation of xmonad or xmonad-contrib could
> > include post-install actions to kick off recompiling?
>
> Note that xmonad can be installed system-wide (say, with
> --prefix=/usr/local) and going to every user's .xmonad does not look
> sane.

As a workaround, however, we could install an empty file as /etc/xmonad,
and then we could trigger a recompile whenever this file is newer than
xmonad.hs.  It might be easier to do this than to figure out where ghc
stores its packages to look at their timestamp (which would be the right
thing to do).
--
David Roundy
Department of Physics