[xmonad] Issue 151 in xmonad: XMonad needs to spot resize events in non-floating windows

codesite-noreply at google.com codesite-noreply at google.com
Wed Mar 12 15:08:11 EDT 2008

Issue 151: XMonad needs to spot resize events in non-floating windows

Comment #2 by mj.fialka:
If I change the XTerm's font in a tiled window, the size of the window
remains the
same (in the opposite to floating XTerm that does resize) but the
geometry change of
the XTerm is not detected by XMonad and therefor XMonad does not force
the window
geometry to the XTerm and thus XTerm does not change it's geometry as
it happens in
other cases such as when changing layouts or removing/adding a window
to the tiled
layout or when beying resized using "mouseResize" with "windowArrange" contributed
modules. Therefor, when the font is changed to a smaller one, the
window remains the
same and you can see the application running inside it (can be MC for a
good visual
reference) in a top-left corner without beying resized to the full
window rectangle.
That makes this feature of XTerm almost useless which is really pity
(see the
"off-topic" below). When the font size increases the same thing happens
but with the
result that only a part of the running application is visible. I hope
that's clear
now what happens although I am terribly pity I can not add some more technical
description... :-(

---off-topic---
I must say that as non-programmer I do not know exactly what XTerm is
actually doing.
I do not know URXVT but I know I simply love to resize the font size of
the XTerm
on-the-fly. Is' one of the most handiest things about XTerm. XTerm is
also the most
precise VT100 emulator around (you can test it with `vttest' to see)
and it has also
the marvellous Tektronix mode which I use sometimes. To be short -
XTerm has many
features I actually need to be effective at my work and at home too.
Also consider
that XTerm is somehow the stadard terminal emulator for XFree86 that is
included in
most UNIX systems so I would rather not get used to anything else
because I can keep
my .Xresources still by me and load them almost anywhere and profit of
the effective
working environment which is exactly the thing XTerm means to me. :-)

Please, all reading this, do NOT react on this off-topic piece of text
above here
directly. I do not like to flame either. If you like to discuss this
off-topic called
"Why is XTerm so good to MJF?" with me, do `/query mjf' on #xmonad
channel instead.
Thank you. :-)
---off-topic---

I would like to know what XTerm does. When XTerm changes it's
font-size, you can see
using `xprop' utility that it did a geometry change (lookup
"WM_NORMAL_HINTS(WM_SIZE_HINTS)" in the outpupt). But I can not see
from the `xprop's
output whether it signalled something or just resized. Help with
debugging this and
it's connection to what's going on inside XMonad is therefor requested
by me as well.

I hope we can find some solution together. I started to love XMonad,
because it is
the window manager ("almost") I was looking for for years. :-)