[xmonad] Segfault on startup

Rafael Almeida almeidaraf at gmail.com
Thu Mar 6 00:35:09 EST 2008

Hello,

I've been using xmonad from darcs. Today I pulled the latest version
and, after compiling xmonad, I found it segfaults during the startup.
I'm running a debian 4.0 (etch) and I've installed X11 1.4.1 on my
local user.

I do get a warning from xorg before xmonad segfaults, but I don't think
it's relevant:

	Xlib: extension "XINERAMA" missing on display ":0.0"

I don't think it's relevant because the same warning shows up even on
working versions of xmonad.

I tested different versions of xmonad from darcs repository and I found
out it breaks on the following patch:

	Mon Feb  4 17:23:48 BRST 2008  Brent Yorgey <byorgey at gmail.com>
	  * Core.hs: add an Applicative instance for X

I read the diff between that and

	Fri Feb 15 19:14:20 BRST 2008  gwern0 at gmail.com
	  * update LOC claim in man page

The only difference was really the addition of the Applicative instance
for X. The new functions added don't seem to be used anywhere, though.
So, simply removing the instance made xmonad to compile and to work.
Even on the latest version on darcs. This is all I did in order for it
to work:

	$ darcs diff
	diff -rN old-xmonad/XMonad/Core.hs new-xmonad/XMonad/Core.hs
	125c125
	< instance Applicative X where
	---
	> {-instance Applicative X where
	127c127
	---

I don't think my .xmonad/xmonad.hs matter here because it doesn't even
get to the point where .xmonad/xmonad-i386-linux starts to be build.
Just in case, I uploaded my xmonad.hs to
http://www.dcc.ufmg.br/~rafaelc/xmonad.hs

[]'s
Rafael