[xmonad] Getting back my Gnome mouse pointer

Magnus Therning magnus at therning.org
Wed Mar 5 09:17:52 EST 2008

On 3/5/08, Brent Yorgey <byorgey at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 5, 2008 at 4:34 AM, Magnus Therning <magnus at therning.org>
> wrote:
>
> > On 3/4/08, Don Stewart <dons at galois.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > magnus:

> > > 17:53:55+0000]

> > > window and
> > > that I

> > > wouldn't
> > > complaining.
> > > cursors get

> > > Yep, that's the trick,
> > >

> > > http://haskell.org/haskellwiki/Xmonad/Frequently_asked_questions#Setting_the_X_cursor
> >

> > Well, that didn't quite do the trick since Debian doesn't use ~/.xinitrc
> > and sticking it in ~/.xsessionrc didn't have any effect at all.  Neither did
> > sticking it in ~/.gnomerc.  So, does someone out there know how to get
> > 'xsetroot -cursor_name left_ptr' to be automatically executed on login on
> > the combination Debian/Gnome/Xmonad?
> >

> Did you try '~/.xsession' rather than '~/.xsessionrc'?

I tried putting the following in .xsession:

xsetroot -cursor_name left_ptr
x-session-manager

but no success.  It didn't work to reverse the lines either.

I switched to using xmonad by creating a ~/.gnomerc:

export WINDOW_MANAGER=/usr/bin/xmonad

That was rather elegant I thought, but this business with the cursor is
starting to irritate me.

/M