[xmonad] darcs patch: instruct users to use exec to start xmonad from .xinitrc

Andrew Sackville-West andrew at swclan.homelinux.org
Fri Jun 27 09:12:26 EDT 2008

On Thu, Jun 26, 2008 at 05:43:26AM -0500, Spencer Janssen wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 26, 2008 at 04:21:37AM -0500, brianchina60221 at gmail.com wrote:
> > Thu Jun 26 04:18:00 CDT 2008  brian at lorf.org
> >   * instruct users to use exec to start xmonad from .xinitrc
>
> It is correct as written.  xmonad does not clean up after child processes
> started before it and as such should not be 'exec'ed.

Hi, I thought the purpose (or one of...) was to replace the .xinitrc
"process" with the xmonad process. Then you can put additional
commands into .xinitrc *after* the exec to provide some kind of
functionality in the event xmonad fails to start. A la:

# do some setup stuff
exec xmonad
x-terminal-emulator

thus giving either xmonad, or if it fails (never!) an xterm to at
least show that X is working. I am happy to be educated otherwise ;)