[xmonad] Re: Session configuration in xmonad under kdm

Yitzchak Gale gale at sefer.org
Mon Jun 2 06:54:53 EDT 2008

I wrote:
> On Debian testing (Lenny), when I install the
> xmonad package I automatically get an
> "XMonad" item in the "Session type" menu
> on the kdm login screen. Nice!
> But how do I configure that session? It ignones
> my ~/.xsession.

OK, I see why. The Debian package supplies a
file /usr/share/xsessions/xmonad.desktop
containing the line:

Exec=xmonad

Instead, it should run a script that first sources
xsession file(s) and then execs xmonad.

I propose that:

o the cross-platform standard name
  for this script should be "startxmonad"
  (/usr/bin/startxmonad on Debian).
o the script should set SESSION_TYPE=xmonad so that
  xsession scripts can know that this is an xmonad session.
o the script should first source /etc/xmonad/xsession,
  if it exists, then ~/.xsession if it exists.

Debian bug submitted.

Other platforms?

Thanks,
Yitz