[xmonad] 0.8 release suggestion

Gwern Branwen gwern0 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 14 17:07:54 EDT 2008

Hi everyone. So as I've occasionally said in #xmonad, I think we should consider releasing 0.8 this month or in August at least.

As it is, it's currently been quite a while since the last release by XMonad standards. We usually have 1 or 2 months between a release; if you look at the months, it goes: 1 5 1 1 1 1 2. If we release July, then there will only've been 4 months, but by August, 0.8 will be contending for the longest gestation and with September will take the record.

I'm sure everyone is familiar with the arguments for making a release, but I don't think we need a very long freeze.

The last changes to XMonad proper were back in May, only a month or two after the 0.7 release. That seems pretty stable and well-tested to me. :)

And XMC needs to be released because looking at the changelogs and <http://haskell.org/haskellwiki/Xmonad/Notable_changes_since_0.7>, there've been quite a few changes; and indeed, in my experience we're starting to get darcs XMC too out of sync with the release XMC (eg. one fellow had problems with my Search module because he was following the web docs).

------

There is one thing which concerns me a little. The Notable changes page claims that 'defaultGaps has been removed, see XMonad.Hooks.ManageDocks.avoidStruts, which is now the preferred method for setting gaps. ManageDocks will soon be moved into the core.'. Is this still the plan? That language has been there since March, but I haven't heard anything about this being done, or scrapped.

--
gwern
~ Tools Pox mechanism Flu AK-47 keyword ETA DITSA TELINT