[xmonad] Re: Keyboard and mouse dying

Maurí­cio briqueabraque at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 8 14:39:20 EDT 2008

 >> When using xmonad, sometimes my mouse and keyboard stop
 >> answering, to the point that I have to reboot the computer.

 > Hrm, that's bad. I haven't had that happen since around 0.3.
 > One thing that caused problems was hitting mod-q while a child
 > process (e.g. a spawned dzen) was running.
 >
 > I'm not sure how to debug this -- perhaps there is relevant info
 > in your Xorg log or in the stdout/stderr of xmonad? (You may
 > need to capture it in your xinitrc.)
 >
 > When you say they stop answering, does the mouse cursor actually
 > freeze, or does xmonad just stop moving the red border based on
 > it? Perhaps make a keybinding that does nothing but putStrLn
 > "hello!" and see if that works? (Perhaps it's the graphics
 > driver that's freezing and not the input drivers.)
 >
 > Obviously if you can narrow down the context, that'd be good.

xmonad package is version 0.6-3 in Ubuntu latest version. I made
a mistake about the mouse: I actually do not have a mouse, and
use an X feature to control the mouse from the keypad; so, maybe
it's just the keyboard freezing. (I also have a problem with that
in xmonad, since usually the keyboard stops its control over the
mouse until I restart that feature with Alt-Shift-NumLock. But
that is on another thread.)

I'll use xmonad again and as soon as my computer freezes I'll post
the previous Xlog file here.

Maurício